Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Diwali, Wedding, Halloween... oh my!

This morning, I had one of the craziest sensations... I woke up, rolled around, huddled back into my covers, and curled into the fetal position.. I WAS COLD. Ok Ok, I shouldn't be saying much, considering snow- pacalypse 2011 has hit the east coast ALREADY (its barely November Mother Nature, give us a break) but to be honest, I didn't think I'd be feeling anything close to winter over here. In fact I'm equipped with only one sweatshirt.. maybe I'll actually have to buy a few Indian sweaters? The change in weather helped me to realize - Today is November 1st. Where has time gone?! In a little less than a month, I'll be snuggled back in Ohio, and in a little less than a week, I'll be out of Delhi on my own completing my very own field work (details to come). Eeek!

This past week has been SUPER busy! As mentioned earlier, last Wednesday we celebrated the Hindu holiday of Diwali with our program teachers because Emily and I's host parents are Muslims, and were very busy in wedding preparations. We first did a traditional Diwali Puja, followed by some candle lighting, and then of course, fireworks outside! When I say fireworks I mean the sparklers and mini things that my family buys on the Fourth of July, but the rest of Delhi was NOT holding back, and for an entire night it sounded (and sometimes felt) like I was in a bomb shelter. After our little party with the program staff, Emily and I came home and took a walk around the neighborhood to experience a little 'real' Diwali. Turns out, we didn't have to walk far. We crossed our street and entered into the adjoining neighborhood, and just as we rounded the corner about 30 ft ahead, 3 boys were setting off the biggest firework I've seen at such a close range. Needless to say, I pulled Emily down, screamed a little bit, and ducked for my life behind a car. Naturally, that drew some attention and laughs from the neighbors (it was completely fine, literally EVERYONE was setting off big fireworks, apparently our US policies are too strict...) but it also got us invited into a families home where the mother and grandmother happily served us some fresh homemade mithai, and told us all about their Diwali. Indian hospitality is so overwhelming sometimes!

Diwali unfortunately helped land me with a seriously strong sinus infection. All those fireworks give off an absurd amount of air pollutants, and that mixed with the headcold from Varanasi turned into 750 Rs worth of meds from the chemist after I finally willed myself to the doctors office. (Sidenote: 750 Rs translates to $15, but by Indian standards, thats A LOT to spend on meds. Typically a visit to the chemist costs about 150 Rs, at most.) And also, the doctor ordered bloodwork and an x-ray as supplement to my checkup? Don't worry, didn't follow through with those, but thought you might find that interesting.

Annnd thats all I have for now.. I have a Hindi FINAL tomorrow, so I need to using this blog as procrastination and get back to studying. I promise to post wedding details and photos soon! Sorry to keep you all in suspense!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see the pictures!
    Sorry to hear you are under the weather.....posts the pics.....please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cant wzait till you come home glad you didnt get blood work and x ray good luck on your work take care of yourself love gramma xoxo

    ReplyDelete