Sunday, November 13, 2011

Week 1, Independent Study Project: Complete!

In the middle of the summer I probably would have laughed at you if you told me that conducting my own field work would be a breeze and that writing at 30 page paper about it would be a piece of cake. Today... I'd probably still laugh at you. But honestly, 1 out of 4 weeks down I can say that its not as bad as I thought. Actually its pretty fun! I mean I guess it should be, considering I chose to come to India, chose this particular program, and then chose the specific topic of my field work... so really, what room do I have to complain?

I started work at Jaipur Foot on Tuesday morning, bright and early, after I finallllly made it to their front door (reference lower post for rickshaw woes). Since then I've been spending my days with Pankaj, the technician that Dr. Pooja set me up to shadow, and he's been helping me with translation as well as explanation of the entire fabrication process of their different prosthetic limbs. Thus far, we've (I say we, I mean him) made a prosthetic arm all the way past the elbow, lower leg, upper leg, HIP replacement, and much much more. I've been spending about 5-6 hours a day there, so we really are becoming fast friends and he's been letting me help with small production stuff. I might even get to make my own prosthetic before I leave at the end of the month! Cross your fingers, because that would be freaking awesome.

Saturday Julia, Charles and I decided to take the day away from our NGOs (multiple hours with a language barrier and the sounds of heavy machinery in the background is pretttty tiring) and we did some exploring of the 'Pink City'. We started our afternoon bargaining at a few of the bazaars, and then headed up to the Tiger Fort, which overlooks the entire city. It was a bit of a hike to get to the top, but totally worth it because the view of the city was breathtaking. We stayed to look around the fort, walked the perimeter walls and watched the sunset over the city :). Not a bad way to spend a Saturday evening!

Sunset over Jaipur :)

Today Julia and I have been lounging around and working on our papers. I've spent most of the day processing my interviews and field notes, and I've finally come up with an ISP title: "Mainstreaming Physically Disabled Populations through Prosthetic Technologies: A Case Study of Jaipur Foot". If that sounds interesting to you, and you're up for a little light reading, PLEASE, be my guest! I'd love some outside editors, because writing is not my strongest suit (thanks engineering) and re-reading your own writing can sometimes get a little boring.

Last thing:  A little happy birthday shoutout to the many family members of mine that had birthdays this week! Mom, Dad, Grandma Porter... I miss you guys so much, and hope you all had FANTASTIC days!! Wish I could have been there to celebrate.. guess we'll just have to do birthdays take 2 when I get back?

1 comment:

  1. rachael im glad your project is complete i know you will do well your pictures are beautiful we still dont have any snow you will be missed at thanksgiving it wont be the same without you but you will be in our thoughts im looking forward to aaron coming home im counting the days for you to be home remember some one in canton loves you very much love gramma xoxxo

    ReplyDelete