Wednesday, November 9, 2011

See ya Delhi, Helllllo Jaipur!


This past weekend was the last with our homestay family, and Sunday morning as we said our goodbyes it was hard to not tear up a little bit. Adil and Khadeeja (and of course Iman!) have been fantastic hosts and resources in the great expanse of India, and I am sad to say I'll miss them and the comfort of their home in an unfamiliar place. Our last weekend together we went to a few parties (tis the holiday season, seriously) and promised that when Emily and I get back to  Delhi we'll all go out for a reunion dinner. I'm already excited! Unfortunately our goodbyes were a little rushed, because of course  everyone left packing till the last minute. Emily and I spent our last night in Delhi in the program center (Khadeeja and Adil left town for Eid) and I woke up bright and early (3:45!!) to catch the morning train to Jaipur.

Monday morning we reached Jaipur, and immediately after stepping off the train, I took a deep breath, and..  didn't hack up a lung! The air is noticeably cleaner, and at this point in my trip, thats exactly what I need. Its already been a great few days. From our rooftop cafe at the guesthouse, we even saw a few stars. Yes folks, STARS! Who knew the air could get that clean? I'm pretty excited.

So this month I'm working with the NGO BMVSS, aka Jaipur Foot. I sent them an e-mail a few weeks ago explaining my project, and got an excited response, but since then hadn't had much contact. So Tuesday morning I resolved to call them and head into the NGO for the day, to check out the lay-of-the-land. Around 8:15, I called for the first time, no answer. They have 4 different phone numbers online, so I tried them all... no answer. Up until around 10 I called ... no answer. So.. in an effort to embrace being in India, I took a bold move and decided to just show up, without phone confirmation. Easily the most forward I've been in my life. Once I finally found the NGO, I walked in, introduced myself to the head technician (didn't know that at the time..) and he gave me a brief tour and then asked who I was there to see.. kindof backwards, but I went with it. So then, I landed myself in the chief founder/patrons office, on the suggestion of my program director. Mr. Mehta (the founder) welcomed me in, ushered me to a seat, and continued sorting his e-mails and exchanging calls with his personal secretary and kept looking at me saying 'ekk second', claiming he would be ready to talk very soon. No wonder they didn't answer my calls! So then, about 5 minutes later (mind you, I'm still sitting awkwardly across the desk) a woman walks in a starts participating in the e-mail and call exchange. Finally, after 15 minutes, they both look across the table and go, "So what's your name again?" .... Immediate internal response - oh my god, why did I come here?! -- It turned out to be fine, because once I said my name their faces lit up (the actually did know who I was, thank god!) And the 3 of us planned out my time at their NGO. Phew. The woman's name is Dr. Pooja, and now she's actually my ISP advisor.

But really, stressful first day, wouldn't you say? Its going to be a great experience I can already tell, but clearly being alone is putting me out of my comfort zone. Should be an interesting month..


1 comment:

  1. rachael finally getting cought up on your blog wow you have been having a time of it glad you survied your travels with the driver ha ha i knew you could do it what a wonderful experience you have had i know it was bittersweet leaving your host family but i cant wait to see you home keep your wits about you always and good luck on your paper i love you gramma and lee xoxo

    ReplyDelete