Tuesday, October 25, 2011

In India, Tis the Holiday Season

First and formost: everyone check out  the new page, which is visible as a tab right above this post ... I finally figured out how to post pictures! After getting some stellar advice from a fellow blogger on the program, I'm happy to report there will be many pictures coming your way in the coming month and a half, for now, enjoy what I've posted!!

Annyways, turns out the 'low key' birthday dinner I was expecting was actually a much more well planned joint birthday party for myself and another girl on the program, Poonam. Surprise surprise! Its nice having friends that can recognize a slightly disappointed b-day girl, and turn the day right around.

Aside from my personal holiday, India is actually in the midst of the biggest holiday season of the year: Diwali! Diwali has been compared to Christmas multiple times, and I understand why: everyone has been prepping for weeks,  houses are decorated, lights are strewn everywhere, and everyone has been giving gifts... and now its finally here! Diwali is actually a 5 day festival which started on Monday, and the most important 'Diwali Day' is tomorrow. Yay celebrations! Considering Khadeeja and Adil are Muslims though, we won't be celebrating at home, but either Emily and I will be celebrating with the teachers at the program center, or with another homestay family. Either way I'm excited to experience Hindu Christmas!!

Speaking of Khadeeja and Adil... this weekend is the big day (or rather I should say days).... Khadeeja's brother is getting married! We came home from Varanasi to find Khadeeja pretty heavily stressed with planning, but it sounds like everything is finally coming together, and all of the 'real' pre-wedding family preparations are starting on Thursday. I'm not sure which events we'll be going to during the week, but I definitely am going to 2 important ones, because Khadeeja took 2 of her sarees to the cleaners for me.. eeeee, so excited! Needless to say the next week of my life is going to be overly party filled.. just in time to act as a de-stresser from all of the actual school work that I have to do.

Speaking of... lots to do, lots to plan. ISP is coming up fast, less than 2 weeks... which is just NOT enough time to try get my thoughts and plans together. Gah, being old is taking its toll, when was I given all of this responsibility to figure out my personal transport and living for a month?! And then, I also conduct an Independent Study Project?!... for now I'm going to stop with the stress, and leave you with this message:

HAPPY DIWALI!! If you think about it tomorrow, light a candle, go find yourself some mithai (Indian Sweets), and if you're reallllly feeling like you have some time, watch the Ramayana. And enjoy the pictures!

1 comment:

  1. rachael the pictures are brautiful especially the ones with you in it enjoy the wedding and give my regards to the family i know you will give a good presentation about what you have learned i love you and miss you love grammy and leroy xoxo

    ReplyDelete