Sunday, October 23, 2011

Kiran Center, 'A Ray of Hope into Lives'

So how many of you have had that "this is what I want to do with my life" epiphany? Recently, and especially right before leaving for India, I was going through a bit of a 'mid-college crisis'. Its kindof crazy to think that in 2 short years (well less that that at this point, eeek) we're supposedly going to go out into the world totally prepared and ready to take on the world. I don’t know about all of you college readers, but at least for me, that’s a pretty scary though. Coming to India was really a way to escape the pressures to figure those things out. I mean, yes, I did come to India to study abroad because I wanted to see this country, and because I am interested in this programs topics, but really in the back of my mind I have been India as an excuse to not really think about any future plans. Its funny how when you least expect things to click, they do.

This past week I’ve been in a small group completing a workshop with the Kiran Center. I knew going in what the main focus of the center was, but knowing and observing are two different things. Monday morning bright and early (after another long overnight train ride) the group took our first trip out to Madhopur, Varanasi, and the location of Kiran Village. Immediately we were greeted by staff and students, most of whom were differently-abled, excited and ready to show off their second home.

Its pretty amazing to see things I am currently studying back home being used in practical ways. For instance: Kiran has an orthotics workshop that focuses on providing calipers and artificial limbs to children/adults in need, and on Tuesday, I spent pretty much the entire day observing the workshop, talking to workers (who were mostly taught by previous staff in the workshop, and who are all mostly recipients of calipers and therapy for polio), and watched a primary fitting and molding session for a prosthetic and a caliper. I gotta say, I was on cloud 9 ALL DAY. I’m going to go ahead and channel my inner nerd here: artificial limbs and organs are SO COOL. AND, watching the process from fitting to final product (Lauren and I went back every day to check on our ‘leg’ and on Friday before we left, it was looking very nice and new and ready to be presented to its new owner) just make me that much more interested in the topic. So many people I talked to explained how outcast they felt before they received and appliance, and how now, most of them do not even consider themselves disabled. Finally, I've been able to see the practical applications of a Bio-Engineering degree, first hand. I was a little worried this wasn't the field for me, but I think I may have re-found a way to combine the many things I love in life. Finally, the best of both worlds!

That was one very exciting experience I had along with the many others throughout the week. Every morning and afternoon we rode the bus from Lanka (center city Varnanasi) with the children out to the Kiran Village, so even though the 6:30 wake up call is a bit tiring, you can never be too tired to learn a few games from many many excited children (oh and also, a Hindi lesson or 2. Even at a young age, these kids are all pretty good English, and eager to be able to teach us some more Hindi. Ah, so jealous). I've also gotten used to being called ‘Didi’ which is older sister in Hindi, because that’s what all of the children at Kiran referred to us as. Once we arrived to school, everyone participated in the non-denominational prayer service (they had a song, and then read a verse from a different religious text everyday), and then we were off to our many different explorations around the Village learning about everything they had to offer to the differently abled and their families.

I could literally write about this place for hours! For starters, they have an integrated primary school (LKG- 6th standard) which they are expanding soon. They also have a special school sector for children suffering from severe cases of CP, and also a classroom curriculum for hearing impaired children. If you’re too old to go to class, that’s ok, because Kiran also offers vocational training in Art and Design, tailoring, horticulture, woodshop and food preparation. Seriously, THEY HAVE EVERYTHING. Oh and also, they just started a Human Resource Training Program, which is a 2 year certified course to teach people how to become special educators with a focus in CP. On top of all that, they have a backbone structure of physical therapy, orthotics, and outreach services offered throughout the surrounding areas. 

Enough about Kiran! (well not really, I'm sure I'll be expanding about this in later posts) but aside from our busy days, we spent our nights exploring the oldest city in India, and arguably one of the holiest. Luckily, we were blessed with the company of Gautam Ji and Archina Ji, two of out teachers that happen to be married and just happpen to have a home in Varanasi. What are the odds?! Every night we got some sort of 'behind the scenes' tour of Varanasi, because they knew where to go, how to get there, and what exactly was good to see. And, we got to meet Mata Ji (Gautam Ji's mom) and got a little tour of their house and were treated (naturally) with a heaping spoonful of Indian hospitality (soo much chai and sweets... so much). 

Saturday morning we woke up before the sun (bright n'early, 5 AM) to catch a boatride down the Ganges. Turns out, Varanasi is more active at 5 AM than it is at 5 PM! There were so many people down at the banks to take their 'holy dip' to start the day off right. And in case you were wondering, no, I did not join in on the fun, the Ganges might be one of the grossest bodies of water I've ever seen (sorry India, its true). Its completely normal and sought after to have your ashes thrown into the Ganges, or to be cremated at the banks, which we also saw on our morning boat ride at the very famous burning ghat. We ended our boat tour just in time do eat a sunrise breakfast at the hotel and spend one last day exploring the Old City. After a very hectic auto ride to the train station (I witnessed some police bribing first hand) we headed back to Delhi.

Flash forward 18 hours. Yes, 18 hours, on the train, because naturally things here happen in Indian Standard Time, and not following any schedule whatsoever. So thats right folks, I once again spent a good portion of my birthday in transit from Varanasi to Delhi (womp womp). Oh right, today is my birthday! BUT, not all was lost, the group managed to surprise me with a cake, on the train (not an easy task!) and a very embarrassing rendition of Happy Birthday in both English and Hindi. And now that I've finally reached Delhi and am a little rested, I'm off to celebrate being 21 Amuuurica style (hopefully, we'll see) with a small group of friends over dinner. Yay birthdays in India! Good thing I have some sweet sahaleys (female friends in Hindi) here to try their best to make me feel like turning 21 in India is not a total waste. I'm looking to the American friends reading this (you know who you are) to help me properly celebrate upon my return to the states :). 

Well, thats all for now. I should really learn to post multiple times a week... off to some B-day celebrations!


4 comments:

  1. ready to help celebrate on your return! love
    you

    ReplyDelete
  2. rachael happy birthday how grown up you sound im glad you have decided on your lifes work how rewarding that will be i am so proud of you i am looking forward to spending time with you when you get home i can hardley believe your 21 i love you very much grammy leroy and angel xo xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachael,

    It sounds amazing! I can't wait to see the pictures...Happy Birthday!!!!!!
    It's nice to have friends isn't it!

    Hope you feel better!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to help you celebrate the big 21 when you get back, trust me... it will be epic!

    love and miss yah!

    ReplyDelete