Sunday, October 16, 2011

Off on Another Excursion

A quick update on the recent happenings of New Delhi:

In about 2 hours I'm going to be off (once again) on the overnight train, this time headed for Varanasi! A small group of only 8 of us are going for our workshop, spending everyday doing activities with the NGO Kiran Village. I'm particularly excited because this NGO and workshop are very closely related to my ISP, which, in the end, should be very helpful academically. And of course, I get to spend the week with kids! If any of you know me at all, you should know by now that I LOVE little kids, and will no doubt love spending the week with these ones.

Kiran Village focuses on rehabilitation of children suffering from a variety of physical and mental disabilities. Unfortunately in India, it is a reality that most children with disabilities are hidden in the home away from society, therefore without treatment. The mission of Kiran Village is not only rehabilitation, but family education about disabilities and disability rights (ah, so similar to my ISP, disability rights!).

Along with just the observation part of the week, we are responsible for conducting 3 interviews as part of our field studies seminar class. The goal of the 3 interviews is to practice for our ISP, and also hopefully learn a little more about a topic related to the NGO and possibly your ISP. Oh and also, one of these interviews has to be conducted in Hindi... eeeeek. Needless to say, I'm excited for the week to begin, and to get the ball rolling in learning more about the topic I've chosen to study for the last 4 weeks that I'll be in India. Finally, the real work here is starting!

On a lighter note, yesterday I saw my first bollywood movie in theatres, without subtitles!! For the most part I understood what was going on (sometimes they spoke a little Hin-glish .. hindi/english) which I was pretty excited about. The name of the movie was Mujhse Fraaandship Karoge, and if you click on the name, I've attached one of the songs (everyone can use a little Bollywood in their life in my opinion). Its crazy how much Hindi we've all learned in such a short period of time. I never really believed in the power of cultural immersion till now, but I must say, it really does work. Emily and I have also been doing a lot of playing with baby Iman. She is getting so talkative! By talkative I mean babbling, but that's a start, right? After our trip to the Indian theatre, a group of us also went out to Haldirams, a fastfood-esque restaurant, selling street food made with clean water. Yummm!

Alright, off to the train station! Coming soon: some more 'photos of the day'!

1 comment:

  1. rachael i cant wait to see your pictures i really miss you lovr gramma xoxo

    ReplyDelete