Friday, September 2, 2011

Mera naam Rachael hai!

Well, thats transliteration, I couldn't find the Devangari script for this format, but we had our first informal hindi lesson, and thats one of the phrases that we learned in preparation for our homestay pickup, which for me is TOMORROW MORNING! (in case you're missing what that says, it says my name is rachael) As part of our orientation this week we started our hindi lessons where we learned that when classes start on Monday, we will be in class learning hindi for 2.5 hours a day.. at least. Looks like I'm going to be pretty good at the language by the time i get home! Along with our Hindi orientation we took a look at the Heath and Human Rights seminar/Field Study Seminar work we are doing this semester, I'm very excited to get classes started, the lectures and excursions that we are taking should be very interesting. Sneak peak: We are going into a slum on Monday, Udaipur next week, maybe Varanasi in October... very very busy! 

Along with all of our academic orientations my new-found Bollywood obsessions were fulfilled, and we watched "Three Idiots" a Bollywood comedy about 3 college engineers (funny, Engineers in India..) The movie was of course not complete without the endless song and dance, and I recommend you all look up the song "All Iz Well" as its been stuck in my head all week. 

This afternoon we were supposed to be picked up by our homestay families, but my family was out of town, celebrating the Muslim holiday Eid-il-Fur, the end of the month Ramadan.. but they are picking us up tomorrow morning. My new roomie Emily and I learned that they have a 7 month old baby, the dad works at a University, and the mom works for the BBC. And is also an amazing cook. I'm a little nervous to be finally moving in, but I think that its going to be alright, It's going to be really great to have a roomie at the homestay, and the two of us are already getting along very well.. needless to say we're very excited to finally be moving in tomorrow! I'm sure its going to go well, but I can't help but be a little nervous. 

I'll leave you all for now with a few pics.... next stop, homestay family!

2 comments:

  1. rachael im missing you already the pictures were gteat tell your host family we ssid hello from canton ohio how do you like your new clothes im sure you look beautiful learn all you can i cant wait to see more pictures love grammy xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow great pics! Looks interesting to say the least. Hope your transition with the homestay family went well. So glad you have a roomie!!! Been thinking about you alot. I have to say, Westville Mall is much nicer place to shop, lol. Uncle Jimmy and Megan say hello. Love you Rach.

    ReplyDelete