Thursday, September 8, 2011

Blasts and 'Quakes

Whether or not you read the International News, here's the latest from Delhi:

Yesterday there was a bomb blast at the high court gates, which killed 11 people and left around 70 others injured. I'm not saying this to freak anyone out, I was completely safe at the program center, in Hindi class,  and we didn't actually find out until later that day. Our program director mentioned it to the group pretty non-nonchalantly actually, explaining that as long as we stay in safe relatively un-crowded areas for the rest of the day, we would be fine. No large news yet on a confirmed group claiming responsibility for the attacks, but you can read all about it on CNN if you're more interested.

Finally I'm starting to feel like I'm getting into a schedule here. Hindi class in the morning, a short tea break (I've becoming completely addicted to chai), more Hindi, a lecture, lunch, and study time/random afternoon meetings. I'm actually starting to feel like a high school-er, because that's a pretty long day. Leave the homestay around 8:00, leave the program center by 3:30. Good news is, we're all really starting to pick up the language! I can almost successfully bargain with a rickshaw driver, which is pretty key because Emily and I take one every morning. Except for mornings when the refuse to drive us, like Wednesday, when we had to venture into other modes of transportation, such as the 'joint-taxi' that took us down the street for 10 rupees each (not a bad rate!) thankfully they understood where we wanted to go, so no mix-ups there. I learned my lesson in getting lost in Delhi once, don't need to get lost again!

Emily and I have also been spending the early afternoons exploring the local community centers around our neighborhood, just to have some things to do in the afternoons instead of heading straight home. We both got our first henna tattoos of the trip, which surely will not be our last, because WE GOT INVITED TO A WEDDING!!! Khadeeja's younger brother is getting married on October 29th, and we have been cordially invited by every family member we have met of hers thus far. The wedding will of course involve lots of henna, lots of dancing, and a sari which Khadeeja promised to help us both pick out. AHH I'm so excited! It was really the one thing I wanted to experience while in India... and as luck would have it, I'm staying with someone who has a marriage in the family. YAY!

So also, on top of the bomb blasts and warnings from the state department to keep out of crowded areas, Delhi also experienced a little seismic activity the other night! It was definitely a pretty sizable earthquake, but it lasted only a few seconds so there was no damage, the host parents were just a little frazzled after the long day. And so was I.. I didn't realize till now, but I'd never really felt an earthquake before.. truly experiencing lots of new things in Delhi i guess!

I'm also seriously craving a salad right now. My host mom's cooking is delicious of course, but sometimes romaine lettuce is just what you need. Here fresh vegetables require a serious course of soaking in a special solution, and then they should be pealed, and probably then be cooked. Delhi has a lot to offer, but I don't think a good clean salad is one of them. I complained about the lack of selection in the Mercersburg Summer salad bar, and now I'm complaining about the lack of salad in India. What's wrong with that picture? Ohh the comforts of America...

3 comments:

  1. rachael theres an old saying if your delt lemons make lemonaid aparentlythats what your doing please be careful [ hope the weather is nice for the wedding send my best wishes for the bride and groom when is it can you send some pictures of it will the henna come off love gramma xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. an earthquake??? that's ridiculous. 2. i love imagining you bargaining with a rickshaw driver in hindi. 3. you've inspired me to eat more salad, since i can! miss yooooooooou

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well the adventures never stop! Bombs, earthquakes and tattoos, really want to see pic of the henna tattoo!! The wedding will be exciting and very different from our traditional weddings. Sounds like you and Emily are adjusting well. Keep up the good work. Love the blog. Love you, be safe.

    ReplyDelete